Introduction to Controversy With Bumble

Bumble - one of the new and exciting apps available on iphone and android. It's a great way to meet new people, whether for dating purposes or for making new friends. For people who are curious individuals like myself, Bumble can act as a great platform to pick the brains of other people. As someone with a degree in neuroscience, I mean this in a literal and figurative fashion. Here's how it works:

You set-up a profile on Bumble. I used my Facebook. I'm not sure if that was the only option, or the most convenient, but that's how I did it. Based on your location, you are shown pictures and a very, very small bio (if it's even filled in). You swipe to determine if you want to match or not. Your picture/profile will show up on their end (randomly mixed in with others) and if they match with you, you're both connected. Women have the power in the heterosexual pairings, as they are the ones who must initiate the conversation. 

The great thing about Bumble is that they also have a BFF selection that lets you meet people looking for friends.  So far, I believe this is based on gender as all my options have been female. If I find a male mixed in, I'll let you all know. 

Anyway, I'm a hard-working student on their summer break and while I have no energy to go out and have a life, I have plenty of energy to harass people on Bumble! What I do is I match with guys (who I think are attractive) and then offer them the opportunity to have a deep conversation. I will ask them whichever question is on my mind at that moment (Do you think addiction is a mental illness? Would you sleep with someone who is hypomanic? Etc etc).


The answers I get are interesting, as one can imagine. My focus is on their logic and reasoning, more than their actual answers. I was actually pretty surprised by some of the answers I’ve gotten so I’ve started to collect them to share with you all. Since I started out on the dating section, most of my answers come from men around the ages 20-30, but I have recently branched out into the BFF zone. If you all have any suggestions for me, please feel free to drop a comment. I’d be more than happy to ask my little unknowing test subjects other questions.

Comments